Saturday, November 7, 2015

Over-Painting & Catch up

Today was designated as our catch up time. I did have a lesson planned about over-painting, but for the sake of the upcoming exhibition I put completing our already started projects as the highest priority for the day.

I did show the girls the over-painting examples and explained the lesson briefly as an enticement to finish up quickly, if they could. 

The list of projects to complete included our papier-mache planets, our galaxy resist paintings, and our star weaving. Two girls still needed to complete their Starry Night on Planet X drawings, but those two girls were absent.

Even with the catch up day thrown off by the missing students, the girls still managed to get a lot done. Our mural started to come together as the girls finished their weaving. I typed, matted, and hung the girls’ myths next to our mural. They had fun reading each other’s myths and seeing their own on the wall. You can just see them hanging on the wall in the photo below.

 

We cut our star sun catchers.

And two girls finished painting their planets. 



At this point, most of the girls stopped what they were working on so I could go over my over-painting slideshow.
I showed them some examples from contemporary artists David Irvine and Dave Pollot to get the ideas percolating.




Here are my sample projects.


These were made by placing tracing paper over an art print, drawing something that is meant to be incorporated into the print, cutting that out of the tracing paper, gluing it to the print, and then coloring the cut out paper with marker and crayon. I also modge-podged over this example to make it all seem more one piece.

Two girls finished up all their projects and were able to start on the over-painting lesson.
Remember that wool we dyed as part of our very first lesson?
The girls had been asking what we were intending to do with it. Honestly, I didn’t have anything planned for it at all. But since they kept asking, and a few girls had mentioned tying it around their necks for a necklace, I thought I would show them how to make felted beads, so they could make a more durable wool necklace.

Here's the necklace made from the length of wool I dyed along with them.
The girls that were finished used the second half of the class to both start their over-paintings, and make felted wool beads.
I have a shorter lesson planned for the hour before our exhibition for next time, but I think we’ll have our work cut out for us finishing our weaving and over-painting and tying up the last few loose ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment