Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Day 1: Dinosaur Discovery

I was a little worried that since the rooms at Belin-Blank aren’t “art rooms” but regular classrooms, that I would not have all the materials I needed. I had to write up a list that included absolutely everything we could possibly need including art staples like pencils and crayons.
           
The staffers had done a great job of supplying everything I had asked for--the real question was whether I had remembered everything I needed.
           
I had planned to introduce myself with some photos and information and then do a classroom ice breaker activity.

I had helpers hand out three sheets of paper per student and gave the students about two minutes to draw three separate things about themselves. Since I was giving them limited time I told them I did not expect their best drawings, only what they could quickly draw in two minutes. I prompted them to think about family, pets, favorite sports and food, hobbies, etc.

After all drawings were completed, we folded our drawings into paper airplanes.

Two things happened here I had not expected: first, the students needed a lot more help than I expected to learn to fold paper airplanes (some of them) and second, the impromptu quick drawings ended up being an excellent pre-assessment of their basic drawing skills.

I had the students throw the airplanes all around the room, then gather three of them that they hadn’t drawn. We gathered in a circle and as each student unfolded someone else’s airplane they took a guess at what the picture was and who drew it. In this way we learned new things about each other.

This intro activity took longer than I expected, but I think it was worth it since I was trying to foster community and get the students feeling comfortable with each other.

After the intro, I showed them my visual PowerPoint about paleontologists and artists/scientists.

After the slideshow, I had students work on painting their journal covers. I showed them a method of using rubber cement as resist to create a dinosaur design. Students created two covers, and then we moved outside for our excavation activity.
The students used hammers, paintbrushes, and magnifying glasses to “excavate” dinosaurs out of a plaster/sand rock. They each had 3 dinosaur skulls to find and 4 dinosaurs.


Back inside, now that the painted covers were dry, I showed the students how to construct their journal and how to bind it.

I expected that drilling holes down the spine with the awl and sewing would be the most challenging aspect of this lesson. I fully intended to help and support nearly every student, taking turns. However, I was amazed at how quickly they picked the process up. One girl bound three journals, another girl bound two. A boy, who appeared to be younger than the rest, bound both of his journals mostly by himself.
I directed students who had finished their journals to begin sketching their dinosaur finds into their journal. Two girls attempted to render detailed drawings of their skulls and skeletons.

 

I was surprised by how young they were and how underdeveloped in some areas (why is folding a paper airplane so hard?) and simultaneously amazed at the ways they exceeded my expectations.

As our time was coming to an end, I helped two students who wanted to take particular journals home bind them quicker, and I also passed out my exit survey to all the students. 
 

According to the exit survey, a couple of the girls didn’t enjoy getting a little dirty during the excavation, but most of the students enjoyed the digging part, and all the students enjoyed making the journals. I had at least three follow up questions to the “What is one question you still have?” about related topics.
 
Two things I plan to change for tomorrow: first, I will discuss classroom expectations right away. I had waffled on it because it’s only a two week course, and I felt I didn’t want to waste time on it. Second, we will need to begin cleaning up much sooner in the class period. The kids were a tremendous help with cleaning, but the classroom is not an art room, and unfortunately there is a non-art class that takes place an hour after mine ends. So, leaving a few supplies out here and there for access the next day is not an option at all.



Overall, I think our first day of sketchbook making and digging for dinosaurs was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment